View Single Post
Old 09-17-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWhitmore View Post
While in high school I got a job working in a chrome plating shop owned by the father of a close friend. I was doing both plating and polishing. The pay was good. On a typical day plating, I would wear a t shirt and Levi’s with boots. At the end of the day most of the t shirt and the Levi’s had been eaten away by the acid used in the plating process. While the pay was good I soon realized that a college education was vital.
Ya. We did not have Kids but I have thought of mentoring. I depending on the age of the child being mentored I thought it would be a good idea to take them to some Factories and see if the Owners or Managers would let them see just what working people have to do to make a living.

I worked in 2 places that Battery Factory and a Clutch rebuilding company where I was luck not to be on the production line.
At the Battery Factory the mechanical convert brought the Battery casing on down and as it passed down the line it got assembled ending with them making the terminals pouring molten lead while they stood there.

In the Clutch rebuilding place there was no convert just stacks and bins of parts that someone hustled and kept filled and someone moved stacks of to the next station.

The main features of both production lines was no on left to go to the Bath Room and no one stopped till the break of lunch buzzer sounded and everyone was back standing at their station before the sounded to start work.

Both places were just open where houses. Perhaps some Fans but no other comfort items. Both noisy places.

In action they were human machines.

Then take the Kids to some Offices and let them see those working conditions and tell they which jobs you need an education for.

However, I believe it is best if everyone started off at some grunt type job in order to appreciate the better employment later.