View Single Post
Old 09-27-2004, 01:01 AM
You can do it

Diesel Gods, Please Help --buying a diesel - long post, sorry

I have a 420SEL and love it, but gas prices are killing me so I am getting a fever to buy a diesel and run on Biodiesel (doughnut oil ). I am looking all over the place to buy a decent one, I came accross one yesterday. It is a 1984 300SD with 220K miles on it. First the owner told me that he had record for last 10 years but when I visited him, he said he just moved and could not find them. The car fax do not tell a whole a lot etiher, there are not enough records available.
I did a test drive today and this is what I found:

The Good stuff:
Great inside and out, interior has a 2 rips on blue lather. The color is odd (greayish blueish), according to owner the first owner especially order the color and requested to not put the clear coat, since he lives on the beach and clear coat oxidizes quick. I am not sure it is true or not but color looks pretty good.
Every thing works in the car, the electric seats, windows etc the only thing which do not work is the Tac.
The car is almost immaculate condition cosmatically.
The tranny shifts fine, the ATF fluid do not smell burned and has redish color.

The Bad stuff:
Car shakes like crazy when idle, you hear metalic sounds, but if you press on the peddle a little it smooths out. Is it engine mounts ? or IP or rack dampner bolt adjustment. or ????
Car is very slow to take off, but once start running it is OK, is this because it is diesel. I am not sure but it was really really slow to take off.
The AC do not work, blower fan works fine. Not sure it is the compressor or condensor or mearly freon refill.
The front tires has wear on inside, need algnment. Tie rod ends are shot but ride smooth though.
When I checked the oil, it was bone dry even though the oil pressure gauge was showing 2-3 on the reading. When I opened the oil filler cap, and put my finger in it, it has black slush in it ????? I put a quart of oil in the car and on the dip stick it was on a very lower end. It was BLACK OIL /SLUSH, I never saw any thing like that. Wha is it ? any tell tale signs? is it just valve guides, stem seals or just plane and simple ignored maitenance by this owner.

I really liked the looks of the car but not sure what should I do.
I am not a Diesel guy, yet , but pretty decent DIY I have change Timming chain, valve stem seals, water pump etc on my Benz. Since I do not know anything about diesel, so need your help please. The price for the car is $2000 originally he was asking 4K, is it worth it or it would be a mony pit for me.
Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
99 TOYOTA 4Runner
1989 Honda Accord (Sold)
1988 Honda Accord (Total)