View Single Post
Old 06-15-2003, 11:15 PM

72 - 350sl won't start

well i think i found the problem. my 72 has sat for 2 years now and i started the detailing etc: that it needed. garage kept. it got started every couple of months and ran fine until 3-4 weeks ago. i had gotten one side done so i wanted to turn it around any way...tried several attempt at starting including using starter fluid down the throat. nothing not even on starting fluid. well everything seemed to check out ok (you name it the po had just replaced it)but the ignition was poor at best if at all...just by accident i threw my vom at the rotor and found i couldn't get a thru connection. now i'm on to something. nothing i did to the rotor or it's mechanism seemed to give a connection to the front striker.

now my real question is can anybody explain to me what the spring mechanism does. there seems to be a ground that touches the inner shaft of the dist. then there is a spring loaded piece that can go back and touch that gounded piece. but the gap between them is too great for an electro magnet effect and centrifugal force is out. so what does it do. now the center piece of the rotor gets it from the coil thru the dist cap fine. but the connection between the striker and the center piece is buried in a black mixture. but there is no connection. movement of the center mechanism does nothing.

does anybody know how this rotor works.

any help is appreciated.
tks
craig
Attached Thumbnails
72 - 350sl won't start-f202049503bos.jpeg  

1972 350sl Red/Blk 117k
1988 420sel charcoal/Blk 140k
1987 420sel gold/tan 128k
See My Cars at:http://mysite.verizon.net/res0aytj/index.html

Pound it to fit then Paint it to match!

There is only First Place and Varying degrees of last!

Old age and deceit will overcome Youth and Enthusiasm every time!

Putting the square peg in the round hole is not hard... IF you do it fast enough!

Old enough to know better but stupid enough to do it anyway!