View Single Post
Old 04-24-2016, 10:41 PM

Working on another Exhaust system this time 3". I needed to re-expand a pipe and My KD Tools were too small. So, I went back to Autzone and rented theirs (2-1/8-3-7/17" range). OEM made in Taiwan 27028.

It did not expand the pipe as far in as I wanted but did enough that it is workable. The Tool did not crack and the pieces that cracked on the other smaller ones are a lot thicker on the larger tool.

I rented a Tail Pipe/Exhaust Pipe Cutter OEM 27045 (sprize the tool is made in the USA or at least that is what is stamped on the central rivit). If you go over to Amazon.com you can see how other customers rated the Tool.

The tool is essentialy a string of tubing cutter type blades mounted in a Cain that you squeeze to bring the blades incontact with the pipe.

It worked but you need to be careful not to squeeze it too hard. I did that on the old pipe and it put 2 dents in the pipe. Since the tubing cuter blades are round that means it was sort of like getting a wheel stuck in a ditch making it harder to rotate the tool.

I was more careful on the other cuts I had to make. Cutting new tube was slightly harder but it worked fine.
The cutter is accurate within about 1/4" and it maxes out at 3".

If you need to see what it looks like you can see it on Amazon.

Also I looked at prices and there is a wide variation in prices for the exact same tool. The free Autozone rental turned out to be brand new.

Last edited by Diesel911; 04-24-2016 at 10:53 PM.