View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 12:49 PM
Not so amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracs View Post
Tyger, what is that?
Watch this: Automatic Shift Lever Bushing Troubleshooting and Repair on Older Mercedes by Kent Bergsma - YouTube

Quote:
2) I think I definitely have vacuum issue as sometimes, my central lock/unlock works,sometimes it doesn't. And my trunk opens accordingly if the vacuum has unlocked the car.Is it major issue expense wise?
No, not expensive. Vacuum problems with the door locks will happen on these old cars. You need to buy a MityVac or similar vacuum pump to troubleshoot the problem. Search "vacuum troubleshooting" to find threads on it.

Quote:
3) In my first two weeks of ownership, I had not very often issues with starting the car. But now since yesterday, I have to keep trying a lot until my key moved from initial motion and start the car.
The ignition tumblers on these cars are prone to wear out. If what you are saying, is that it is very difficult to get your key to turn (to unlock the steering) then you should replace the tumbler as soon as possible. It is an easy job IF THE KEY TURNS. If you reach the point where the key won't turn, it is a MUCH more difficult job then. I don't think that leaving the key in the tumbler all the time will help you... if it is hard to get the key to turn now, eventually (probably soon) it will not turn anymore.

If you have different keys for the doors and ignition, the tumbler has probably already been replaced with an aftermarket one with a new key (much cheaper than getting one from the dealer to match the original key). You will not be able to get a key from the dealer.

Mac
2002 e320 4matic estate│1985 300d│1980 300td
Previous: 1979 & 1982 & 1983 300sd │ 1982 240d

“Let's take a drive into the middle of nowhere with a packet of Marlboro lights and talk about our lives.” ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22