View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorblue92 View Post
Its on a plain concrete driveway. The decorative driveway in the picture is my Grandparent's house in Miami.
Gatorblue, on a CONCRETE driveway, I pour a circle of oil dry / cat litter around the offending oil spot, spray or squirt (Ketchup bottle at the dollar store) laquer thinner on the oil stain, then cover the oil/laquer thinner mix with more oil dry/cat litter. Let it sit for a few days,....sweep it up. If its an old / heavy deposit, you may need to do this more than once. When done, sweep up the oil dry and keep it in a fold top bin. It can be used MANY times this way,....until it begins to look dirty or oily. I keep a one gallon pitcher from the dollar store 3/4 full of the cat litter and my Ketchup squeeze bottle of Laquer thinner in the pitcher on top of the oil dry,.............ready to go whenever there is a drip or spill.

This method is very effective and I am still using the same oil dry I started with 2-3 years ago,...........and I promise you I have lots of leaks and spills

I would be reluctant to try this method on Asphalt though, thinking that the laquer thinner would possibly disolve binders in the asphalt and maybe make the situation worse.

Oil dry mats are also great. When used outside however, you need to anchor each corner with a brick or similar. I had an old 4x4 that leaked badly.........I got about a year out of each oil dry / drip mat. They cost about $10 at O'Reilly's auto parts.