View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 10:05 AM

1987 TD Shakey vibrations -- motor mounts maybe?

So my 1987 TD developed a vibration at high speeds . Most prominent when going around a turn and hitting a bump, the car would vibrate from center as if something is not dampening correctly. Really feels like motor is shaking. It transfers all the way to steering wheel. So its like a prolonged shaking/vibrating after going over bumps or turning hard at high speeds.

I'm thinking motor mounts are shot. Also i notice the shocks are pretty shot on the front. Maybe that is what streesed the motor mounts?

More background, when i first noticed it I got it on lift and checked it out -- found the tranny mount was shot. Replaced that. Also found one of the engine brackets on drivers side that bolts to top of motor mount and the engine was broken and just resting on motor mount. I replaced that too. Thank you parts car. I checked front end components, they look and feel tight and are all relatively new.

Anyway, I'm betting its motor mounts. Can anyone confirm what bad motor mounts feel like on a 603 engine? On a 617, you just see it feel it , hear it at idle, metal hitting metal. But these are fine at idle. I can rock the engine a little with my hand.

Thanks