View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 08:49 AM

300SD beeping with door open and lights OFF

My 83 300SD beeps when the door is open AT ALL TIMES, whether the headlights are on OR OFF..... Normally it just goes on when the lights are on (like my 2 other 300SD's and my 300TD), but the beeping always being on makes it hard to know whether I've left my headlights on during the day (since I can't really tell).

I've tried looking around, googling, looking the service manual and I can't seem to figure out where to even look, since I don't know how to phrase this with the appropriate jargon. When I press the push-button thingy that's on the door frame (as if the door were shutting), then the beeping shuts off, whether the headlights are on or not. What is that push-button thingy called? What is the feature called when the car beeps with the lights on?

The push-button thingy only has two connectors, so I'm guessing it just closes/opens the circuit, so whatever is going wrong is elsewhere.

Also, I have TWO push-button thingies, and the 2nd one seems to not have any effect. What's that for anyway?