View Single Post
Old 06-13-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardLSU View Post
My father has a friend that runs an Aamco transmission shop here in KCK. I took it down to him and he hooked up a vacuum pump to my car and pumped it up, took it for a drive and it shifted like it was brand new. He said the problem is that the transmission is getting zero vacuum pressure, and since diesels don't really make vacuum I should take it to a diesel tech to isolate the problem.

Are all of the vacuum systems connected? (like with the door locks?) My locks haven't worked for quite some time unless I manually lock and unlock each door.

I'll get a detailed pic of the drivers side of the engine today and post it.
Vacuum leaks anywhere in the car could affect tranny shifting. I believe you have just confirmed that you have a leak somewhere. With a Mity Vac pump, you should be able to isolate the problem. There is a very good DIY link in this forum on checking vacuum pressure on the tranny line. IIRC, you are suppose to get 21-23 in Hg in this line.

http://www.peachparts.com/Wikka/TransVacTune

I'm glad the tranny shop did not say that you need to change your tranny. Many of them tend to write off the tranny b/c they are not familiar with the MBs. Kudos to your Dad's friend.
96 C220
97 Explorer - Found Another Home
2000 Honda Accord V6 - Found Another Home
85 300D - Found Another Home
84 300D - Found Another Home
80 300TD - Found Another Home
Previous cars:
96 Caravan
87 Camry
84 Cressida
82 Vanagon
80 Fiesta
78 Nova
Ford Cortina
Opel Kadet
68 Kombi
Contessa

Last edited by tobybul; 06-13-2010 at 08:41 PM.